Timeline of the Life of Paul
SAUL’S EARLY YEARS
- 0 The birth of Christ.
- 3 Saul born and spends early years in Tarsus.
- 10 Saul is sent to Jerusalem to begins studies under Gamaliel.
- 14 Death of Augustus and ascension of Tiberius.
- 26 Pontius Pilate is appointed as the prefect of Judaea.
- 33 Death of Christ and great Pentecostal Outpouring
- 33-37 Events of Acts 2:42-6:7
- 36 Death of Stephen. Saul begins persecution of the Church.
SAUL THE NEW CHRISTIAN
- 37 Tiberius dies, replaced by Caligula.
- 37 Saul has Damascus Road experience.
- 40 Saul escapes assassination attempt in Damascus; visits apostles; goes to Tarsus
- 41 Caligula is assassinated, replaced by Claudius.
- 42 Paul has vision of heaven. (2 Cor. 12:1-4)
- 43 Claudius begins the first large-scale Roman invasion of Britain.
- 43 Barnabas finds Paul in Tarsus and brings him to Antioch.
- 44 Peter arrested; Herod Agrippa dies. (Acts 12:1-23)
- 46 Paul and Barnabas bring financial aid to believers in Jerusalem (Acts 11:30; 12:25).
THE FIRST MISSIONARY JOURNEY
- 47 Paul and Barnabas set out on first missionary journey.
- 48 Paul and Barnabas return to Antioch (Acts 14:26).
- 49 Paul and Barnabas meet with elders in Jerusalem (Acts 15).
- 49 Claudius passes an edict expelling all Jews from Rome (Acts 18:2).
THE SECOND MISSIONARY JOURNEY
- 50 Paul and Silas set out on second missionary journey.
- 50 Paul arrives in Corinth (Acts 18:1).
- 50-51 Paul writes 1 & 2 Thessalonians.
- 51 Gallio becomes proconsul of Achaia (Acts 18:12).
- 52 Paul leaves Corinth, stops in Ephesus and continues on to Antioch (Acts 18:18-22).
THE THIRD MISSIONARY JOURNEY
- 53 Paul sets out on third missionary journey.
- 54 Claudius dies, replaced by Nero.
- 53-56 Paul spends 2-3 years in Ephesus, spreading the gospel in Asia (Acts 19:10; 20:31).
- 55 Paul writes 1 Corinthians and then follows up with a “painful” visit (2 Corinthians 2:1; 13:2).
- 56 Paul writes severe letter to Corinthians (2 Corinthians 2:3-4; 7:8).
- 57 Paul leaves Ephesus (Acts 20:1) and meets Titus in Macedonia (2 Corinthians 7:6); he writes 2 Corinthians.
- 57-58 Paul spends winter in Corinth; writes the books of Galatians & Romans.
ARREST, TRIP TO ROME & SUBSEQUENT YEARS
- 58 Paul is arrested in Jerusalem.
- 59 Felix is succeeded by Festus as governor of Palestine.
- 61 Paul arrives in Rome and remains under house arrest; writes Philemon, Colossians, Ephesians & Philippians.
- 63 Paul acquitted; begins visiting various cities.
- 64 The Great Fire of Rome speculated to have been started by Nero to make room for his palace.
- 65-66 Paul writes 1 Timothy & Titus
- 67 Nero enters the Olympic games and is named the winner of every event he enters.
- 67 Paul arrested; writes 2 Timothy; beheaded in Rome.
- 68 Nero dies, eventually replaced by Vespasian.
- 70 Titus sacks Jerusalem.
*Underlined items are historical events with relatively certain dates.